One of the more popular trails in San Diego, This trail offers a light challenge and blood pumping trek up the almost 3 miles to the top. Once up top, the views of San Diego and surrounding area are only matched by Cowles Mountain to the south. Iron Mountain offers a couple different options for length, and difficulty as well. During the spring and summer months this trail gets a bit warm, so water is required. Evening hikes are a bit easier as the sun has died down and temps for night hikes drop 5-10˚F. Recommended ages are 10 to any abled body adult! (Age is a state of mind these days!) Time for this hike is 3-4 hours depending on skill, fitness, and time spent at the top. Total length is 5.8 miles round trip.
What you will need for this hike.
- Headlamp (Red light preferred but not required)
- Water, no less than 2 liters
- 1st aid kit
- loose fitted, light colored clothing
- Hiking /running shoes or boots. No Sandals, slip on shoes, shapeups, etc.
- Sweatshirt or warm layer for down time at the top (Gets a bit cold when the sweat evaporates)
Guides will provide anything else that will be needed for this hike, including expanded first aid kits, tools, and rescue equipment.